Dr. Germán Alejandro Ortega Almeida
Embajador del Ecuador en Irán
Dr. Germán Alejandro Ortega Almeida
NAME: Germán Alejandro Ortega Almeida
DATE AND PLACE OF BIRTH: Quito, March 27, 1964
MARITAL STATUS: Married (two children)
STUDIES AND ACADEMIC TITLES:
- Ecole Nationale d’Administration (ENA) in France. Brevet of Public Administration, 1999-2000.
- Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IUHEI) Geneva, Switzerland. Certificate of Diplomatic Studies, 1989-1990.
- Diplomatic Academy of Ecuador. Certificate of Studies, 1987-1988.
- Law, Catholic University of Ecuador, in Quito. Doctor, 1982-1987.
LANGUAGES: English and French.
DATE OF ENTRY TO THE FOREIGN OFFICE: September 14, 1987
FUNCTIONS AT THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS:
- Student of the Diplomatic Academy. ( 87-88) selection from public contest.
- Secretary at the General Directorate for Territorial Sovereignty.
- Secretary at the Cabinet of the Minister.
- Secretary at the General Directorate for Technical Cooperation.
- Secretary at the General Directorate for International Economic Negotiations.
- General Director for International Economic Negotiations, 1999.
- Chief Negotiator of the FTAA, in the Market Access Group, 2000.
- Chief of the Cabinet of the Minister, 2007
- General Director for Special Sovereignty Affaires , 2007-2009.
- Coordinator of the special and differential treatment group in the trade negotiating team of Andean Community – European Union.
- Director for Bilateral Affairs with South America.
- Undersecretary for Latin America and the Caribbean, several times.
- Director of Neighborhood Relations and Soveranitys, 2015-1016.
FUNCTIONS ABROAD: (Functions in embassies or consulates)
- Secretary at the Embassy of Ecuador in Egypt , 92-94.
- Charge d’Affaires A.I. at the Embassy of Ecuador in Egypt. Several Periods.
- Permanent Representation to the European Office of the UN and the WTO in Geneva, 94-97.
- Minister at the Embassy of Ecuador in France, 2002-05.
- Minister at the Permanent Mission of Ecuador to the United Nations in New York, 2005-07.
- Minister at the Embassy of Ecuador in Venezuela , 2010-13.
- General Consul of Ecuador in Guadalajara-Mexico, 2013-2014.
MAIN COMMITTEES, REPRESENTATIONS OR SPECIAL OFFICES:
- Delegate of Ecuador to the UN General Assembly in the periods 2005, 2006 and 2007.
- Delegate of Ecuador to the meetings of the Security Council of the UN.
- Delegate of Ecuador to the meetings of the First Committee of the United Nations which is responsible for security issues.
- Delegate of Ecuador to the meetings of the Fourth Committee of the United Nations in charge of political affairs and decolonization.
- Delegate of Ecuador to the General Assembly of UNESCO in Paris. 2003
- March 2001- October 2001: Chief Negotiator Group on Market Access in the FTAA. International negotiator appointed by the Board for Foreign Trade.
- Member of the negotiating team for the accession of Ecuador to the WTO, 1994-1996.
- Member of the working team for the dispute settlement procedure called for Ecuador to the European Union at the WTO by the case of imports of bananas to the EU.
- Delegate for agencies based in Geneva (1994-1997):
– World Intellectual Property Organization.
– International Organization for Migration
– World Health Organization
– Commission on Human Rights of the UN.
OTHER FUNCTIONS OR DIGNITIES IN ECUADOR:
- Foreign Service Ambassador, appointed in October 2012.
- Undersecretary for Foreign Trade and Integration of the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Integration ( 2001-2002)
- Secretary of the Board of Foreign Trade.
- Delegate of Ecuador to several meetings of Presidents, Foreign Ministers and Ministers of Foreign Trade of the countries of the Andean Community.
- Head of the Delegation of Ecuador to the FTAA negotiations.
OTHER ACTIVITIES IN ECUADOR
- Professor of International Relations, Faculty of Applied Sciences and International Law, Catholic University, 2000-2001.
- Life of José Peralta, awarded by the Diplomats Association, published.
- Relations between Ecuador and Peru in the Garcia Moreno period, published.
- The services negotiations in the WTO, published.
- Medal “to those who believed and worked for Peace”, awarded by the Chancellor José Ayala Lasso, on May 30, 1999.
Quito, June 2016.